Saturday, October 23, 2010

Recent Acquisitions part II

Although I am not as nuts about Craiglist as I once was, I do manage to peruse the free section every now and then.  The other day, this guy popped out at me!


It is a panel from a Slovenian beehive, complete with two Slovenians drinking wine and eating sausages.  There is a wonderfully poor English translation of the history of Slovenian beehive painting on the back.   Technically, it is intended as a gift for my half-Slovenian boyfriend.  Until he comes to visit next week, I get to look at it all I want.  (It's a gift for BOTH of us).  The best part was that the person was getting rid of it on CMU's campus, so all I had to do to pick it up was walk up and down a slight incline. :)

Next stop, I made myself a drink sleeve for hot beverages.  When I took this photo, I did not have a hot beverage, so this beer glass will just have to do.  You get the idea.


I kind of just took a Starbucks drink sleeve and used it as a pattern.  I think the total cost of my little project was 60 cents, with the fabric, the thread, the batting I used for insulation, and the button closure.  It was good because it gave me something inexpensive to do (still job searching, but I have at least one prospect), and now I have something pretty to look at when I walk down Forbes Avenue with my coffee.  AND my impact on the earth is that much smaller.

Today I played in CMU's Contemporary Chamber Ensemble concert.  I played bassoon in Contradanza by Sofia Gubaidulina and Quattro Fantasie by Hans Werner Henze.  If you don't know about these two folks, look them up.  They are rad.  Rehearsing for this concert was tough, because in order to be at rehearsal at 9, I had to wake up at 6 AM.  Most Wednesdays and Fridays since the beginning of school.  I think in the end though, the concert was a big success and it is always a treat to play with such a high caliber of musicians.  I love my skewl!!

Anyway, I have a chamber orchestra concert tomorrow in Squirrel Hill.  It feels good to be busy, and I always like to hope that some day I will get paid to do the same volume of playing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment